The Grand Rapids Marathon was all smiles for me. What a great way to end my race season (almost!) and I am looking forward to an even better 2017!
After the race: tired, sore, and HUNGRY!
- I had some lofty goals which included finishing in a time of 2:25:00 (avg. pace 5:32/mile)
- I was coming off an injury that forced me to take almost 5 weeks off from running outside with just 6 weeks to go before the marathon
- It was hot (71) and windy (10+ mph headwind)
- I was CRUISING through the first 10k (avg. pace 5:32) and felt fan-freaking-tastic!
- Everything fell apart right around the halfway point and I was just in survival mode after that, but I did NOT walk
- Going slow did have it's perks. I got to enjoy the atmosphere and experience of THE BOSTON MARATHON!
- Bostonian's have funny accents (you know you can pronounce the 'r' in words, right?!)
- I had so many people who texted, called, posted, and everything else that it was beyond humbling and I am so thankful for all of you!
- I finished in a time of 2:50:02 and missed my goal time by 25 minutes. This was my slowest marathon by 10 minutes since I started running marathons 3 years ago
- I am nowhere near satisfied with this effort and I will be back to Boston for redemption